Today I tried my first ‘word sprint’ and managed 590 words in half an hour…then struggled to concentrate for the rest of the day. I’m still nearly 500 words short of my goal for the day, but if I can knuckle down that’s only another half an hour’s work, isn’t it?
I’ve known all along what the next hardship I intend to throw at my protagonist is (it was actually the whole premise of the plot for a long time) but it wasn’t until today that I finally confirmed in my own head how I was going to lead up to it in an effective way. I guess you could say that although I spent a fair amount of energy ‘plotting’, there was a big black hole in the plan, and I’ve really been ‘pantsing’ this one particular section for the last few days. Now I know where I’m going, and how long I intend to take to get there, I’m hoping the next few days will be a lot easier (at least in terms of writing). As for how I’m going to be spending the rest of my energy, well, let’s just say I’m glad I’ve forced myself to stay ahead of the recommended pace up until this point!