So, now that NaNoWriMo is finished, you might be wondering, ‘what’s next for Aspiring Scribbler?’ Funny you should ask. I’ve been wondering that myself.
- First and foremost, I am looking forward to taking some time out to catch up on some reading. I’ve only managed a few chapters for the whole of November, and I’m very behind in the Back to the Classics challenge I started in January. I have 2 and a 1/2 books to read, and three reviews to write by the 31st of December.
- During November I alluded to a history project I’ve been asked to work on for a local community group. Now that I’ve finished drafting my novel, it’s time to commit to some serious research.
- This year I’ve been extremely slack about working on short stories and getting them entered in competitions. Now is the time to start picking some upcoming competitions for 2015 and brainstorming plot ideas.
That’s probably enough for December, but then there’s the 50,000 words I have sitting on my computer (and backed up on a USB!) What about those?
- I’m going to take some time out, maybe a few weeks, maybe a couple of months, so that I can go back to it with fresh eyes. I’ll read it over and fix any glaring errors, before I give it to a couple of beta readers for opinions. It’s the first time I’ve completed a draft novel, so I’m guessing it’s going to need a LOT of work before it will be ready to query.
- I’ve already started jotting down ideas for next year’s NaNo novel. I was originally planning to work on that plot this year, but as it’s a fantasy novel, I needed more time for world-building. I figure with twelve months of (relaxed) preparation and research behind me, I’ll be able to produce a better quality product next November.
What about you lot? Got any post NaNo plans yet?